x
Toggle Content    Register or Login  -  November 13, 2018, 11:54 pm  
Toggle Content Commercial Themes
This is an opportunity for you to preview TCD commercial themes. All themes seen here can be purchased from the store.
Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Toggle Content Navigation
Toggle Content Project Status
Support Forums » Support » Requests » TCD Natural, questions.
Please use the forum search before making a post. Your question might have been previously answered.

TCD Natural, questions.
Request a Theme, Module, Block, or Tutorial.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote

Hey there!

I've been using the natural theme for quite a while now, customized just a little, for Guild Wars :+

I've been trying to get the news to show up in 2 columns.
Can't seem to figure out how to do this though. maybe you could shine a light on this for me. I would love for the news to show up like this:

NEWS1
NEWS2-NEWS3
NEWS4-NEWS5.

or something like this:
NEWS1-NEWS2
NEWS3-NEWS4.

but then the max number of returned news has to be 4 or less. And I can't even seem to figure out how to change that...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lead Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote

By default DragonflyCMS news module can't do that. You'll need to look for another module. It doesn't have anything to do with the theme you're running. It's the news module itself. There are other news modules out there that can do something like you are asking. What they are called I don't know because I don't use them. I believe pitcher and myndworx created something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote

Devon wrote:
By default DragonflyCMS news module can't do that. You'll need to look for another module. It doesn't have anything to do with the theme you're running. It's the news module itself. There are other news modules out there that can do something like you are asking. What they are called I don't know because I don't use them. I believe pitcher and myndworx created something like that.

I know, but if I activate news pro, I get blank pages in the index.html.
In the DF forums, there is a stickie about this, and editing the index.html...

They used the default theme as an example, but this theme is built differently.
I replied there, but the support over at the DF forums is miserable lately.

Here's the direct link to the topic I'm reffering too:
DF Stickie, having 2 news side by side

Lead Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote

Interesting... Even if I can get it working it's not going to work right with the Natural theme due to width constraints. The theme has a graphical news border which takes up quite a bit of space. Double that and you are left with only about 500px of width. Add in the news topic icon and you're left with 200px per side. That's quite small and definitely not large enough to put any kind of pictures into your news articles unless you only keep the pictures in the full article text (extended text).

I will however look into it regardless as it might be a refreshingly new way of doing news templating.

Last edited by Devon on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote

Devon wrote:
Interesting... I'll see what I can do.

Thanks. By the way, I can't understand why they made that post sticky, when there is no resolute guide or how-to on how to accomplish what is so obviously stated in the title...

Lead Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote

From what maze posted I can probably accomplish it if his code is true. That code was in the format for theme designers to digest definitely not normal users. I'll work on it today. Working on an upgrade path for themecp2 today as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote

Devon wrote:
From what maze posted I can probably accomplish it if his code is true. That code was in the format for theme designers to digest definitely not normal users. I'll work on it today. Working on an upgrade path for themecp2 today as well.

Great! Don't have to make any haste though, as I've allready installed it, just had to uninstall the previous and after installing the new one, upgrade the links.

That code is definetly not usefull for "normal" users like myself I think...
I'm not really a developer... :@

May I just complement you again on creating great stuff!
Your support is beyond great. Keep it up mate.

Lead Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote

The most I could do was get the topic titles and text either all on top or to the left trying both tables and divs. The news articles stayed all on the left. This is not a good system of coding for templates. They can either create a new module with predefined layouts or leave it as is. I do not have the time to sit down for a couple days and figure it out. They really need to make some modifications to that module for templating and defined news layouts. It's too much to ask from theme designers. Maze could have at least given some better and complete examples.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Devon wrote:
The most I could do was get the topic titles and text either all on top or to the left trying both tables and divs. The news articles stayed all on the left. This is not a good system of coding for templates. They can either create a new module with predefined layouts or leave it as is. I do not have the time to sit down for a couple days and figure it out. They really need to make some modifications to that module for templating and defined news layouts. It's too much to ask from theme designers. Maze could have at least given some better and complete examples.

Yeah I figured as much. I'm not really that much of a noob when it comes to coding, even though, if I had to write it all up from scratch I would be lost completely.

May I thank you anyway for trying to get this thing to work. The sticky post on the DF community forums is the most stupid sticky post I've ever seen, because it shines absolutely no light on the problem at hand.

The NSN Center block, they suggest, shows four blocks in line, or in the way I discribed earlier, but that's not what I want, since I can't put news items in them.

I'll post over there, maybe someone will finally pick this up, cause I think it has been sticky for YEARS.

Very Happy Devon, you're great. Thanks.

Lead Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Welcome. The code that Maze posted was not a full example just part of it. If he sits down and knocks out an actual example then I might use it in a theme or two but not for a lot of them because that code would certainly have to change in the future. It's extremely ugly code and very much outside of the norm for Dragonfly themes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote

thanks Jo0Lz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Razz Cool

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 5 Hours